Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The bill is what?!

Just last night, my husband and I were talking about being better with grocery shopping.  Setting a budget and sticking to it.  Planning our meals before we go shopping.  And then today I stopped at Whole Foods for prenatal vitamins.  I ended up leaving without the vitamins (they are cheaper on Amazon) but still spending $72.59 on a bag and half of groceries.  



I bought:

Brown rice shrimp california roll  (dinner)
Brown rice tuna avocado roll (dinner)
Baby mixed kale
2 yams
2 cookies
4  organic avocados
Jason's Vitamin E face creme
Organic cilantro
Organic strawberries
Skirt steak (Just local, not grass fed.  That was more $$)
365 organic milk
Zico coconut water
4 PB pretzel luna bars
Organic eggs

That's it!  I think it's the most I've ever spent for the amount of food I got.  Granted, the face lotion was $12.  But still!  This really reiterates the fact that we need to set a budget for food and have a plan before we walk into the store.  My problems are these:

1. I shop at Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Whole Foods, Target and Shop Rite.  This kind of blurs how much money you spend per week.  But, I really need to start settling for other brands or foods and stop going to 5 stores a week!  Not to mention the time I'd be saving!

2. I try to buy a lot of organic and foods with better ingredients.  Sometimes this doesn't happen for cheap, actually most of the time.  I know I could just go somewhere like Produce Junction and get a bulk of produce for super cheap, but last time I checked, that stuff is not organic.  And right now, with the whole trying to get pregnant thing, it's very important to me the quality of the food I put into my body.

So, I guess this means I need to plan, plan, plan and search for deals.  Also, I'm thinking I might need to simplify my meals and keep the ingredients to a minimum.  Any ideas?  




No comments:

Post a Comment